Our team of experienced surveyors can provide you with knowledge of otter ecology and practical experience of searching for otters along river and stream corridors. Classroom theory sessions will cover otter biology, population history, habitat preferences, legislation, and types of field signs that you will survey for. Fieldwork sessions will introduce you to survey methodology, identifying otter signs in the field, identifying other riparian mammal signs (particularly confusion species), and camera trapping. The course is suitable for professional ecologists and members of conservation bodies looking to identify or quantify otter populations along river corridors.
• Understanding the ecology and habitat requirements of otters.
• Understanding the legislation protecting otters in the UK.
• Identifying otter holts and couches, foraging signs, spraint, footprints, and slides.
• Placement of camera traps.
• Artificial holt creation.
Venue: Abrehart Ecology Ltd, Bridge Farm, Friday Street, Brandeston, Suffolk, IP13 7BP.