Our team of experienced surveyors can provide you with knowledge of water vole ecology and practical experience of searching for water voles along ditches, rivers, and stream corridors. Classroom theory sessions will cover water vole biology, threats to populations, habitat preferences, legislation, and types of field signs that you will survey for. Fieldwork sessions will introduce you to survey methodology, identifying water vole signs in the field, identifying other riparian mammal signs (particularly confusion species), and camera trapping. The course is suitable for professional ecologists and members of conservation bodies looking to identify or quantify water vole populations along river corridors.
• Understanding the ecology and habitat requirements of water voles.
• Understanding the legislation protecting water voles in the UK.
• Identifying water vole burrows, foraging signs, latrines, and footprints (and successfully identifying confusion species – such as brown rat).
• Placement of camera traps.
• Understanding appropriate mitigation measures when water voles are encountered on development sites.
Venue: Abrehart Ecology Ltd, Bridge Farm, Friday Street, Brandeston, Suffolk, IP13 7BP.
We will be running a Watervole course on the 22nd September @ £120 per person